Why take a music exam?
‘Enjoyment through achievement’ is a phrase that sums up our philosophy, and earning an exam certificate is a rewarding experience. If you are working hard to make progress with your music you need some way of recognizing your success and reassurance that you are on the right road. This is exactly what music exams offer:
- Motivation and inspiration, working from a carefully structured syllabus towards a definite goal
- A measure of personal progress and attainment against international ally recognized benchmarks
- An objective guide to improve your musical skills
- Assessment by a respected and independent musician who has been highly trained and is constantly monitored sympathetic encouragement
- Performance opportunities
- A real sense of achievement
Development in music theory and musicianship becomes increasingly important in helping students perform with sensitivity, understanding, and confidence. We offer preparation classes for the Certificate of Merit (CM) once a year and the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM) two to three times a year.
Associated Board of Royal School of Music (ABRSM)
Grades 1-8: Piano, Violin, Voice & Guitar; Diploma in Piano
Students are prepared for the ABRSM Practical exam at their chosen grade in scale, repertoire, sight reading and aural training. Students are required to pass Grade 5 Theory, to progress to practical exams at Grades 6, 7, and 8.
Students are prepared for the written ABRSM Music Theory exam for their chosen grade. Classes start three times a year.
For more information: http://us.abrsm.org
Certificate of Merit (CM Exam)
Levels Prep-Advanced: Piano
Students are prepared for the CM exam at their chosen level in scale, repertoire, sight reading, ear training and theory. The exams are held annually from mid-February through April, exam registration starts once a year in October. Please call or stop by our office for more information.
For more information: https://www.mtac.org/